I got a new phone to replace my old Nokia N73 whose battery is slowly dying. Always wanted to get a new Android smartphone, but I am wary of getting a bar shaped phone for I don't want the screen to be scratched to bits with the multitude of metal things I stuff my pocket with on a daily basis. The clamshell design of the 007SH caught my attention.
Another point I liked is the high resolution camera it has. I have found that having a reliable good resolution camera always handy with you is great when you need to take pictures anywhere of kids, scenery or the odd UFO.
So to the phone now:
OS Android 2.3
Osaifu Keitai (Mobile Payment System)
Emergency Earthquake Alert
Connectivity to Home Network Server
microSD card (2GB included, max 32GB)
Weight 123 g (140 g with battery)
Size 51.8 x 113 x 18.8-1.3 mm (clamshell Size closed, without protruding parts)
Continuous Talk Time
230 minutes (3G)
230 minutes (GSM)
Continuous Standby Time
Continous TV time
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Capacity 820 mAh
34.2 x 47.1 x 4.6 m
|Normal flip open position|
The screen can be flipped and turned 180 degrees (like Linda Blair's head in The Exorcist!)
|The screen can only be flipped one way to the left|
|Hey! I'm a smartphone now!|
A 12 sec. video of the flip
In Japan many phones have the One-Seg TV tuner. Although the reception where I am is good enough for me not to have to pull the antenna out, I find the antenna is quite fiddly for my short nailed fingers to pull out. had to use the tip of a pen to do it.
|TV mode On|
* Clamshell format, water & dust proofing helps protect it from the element. I had the phone quite wet from working outside on a rainy day installing a TV antenna while using a spirit level app for it and it was working fine. I haven't tried dipping it in water yet though.
* Screen visibility is good even under bright light. Picture quality of movie files from home server whilst on WiFi is quite good.
* It's not an iPhone :)
* Camera resolution is good. Highest quality setting sample below:
|Click for full size image|
* Battery life could be better. Playing nonstop Angry Birds I only managed a little over 3 hrs.
* Haven't found info on how to root it yet.
* External speaker sometimes not loud enough
* No user facing camera, there's only one camera (the main 16M pixel one)
Updating to Android 2.3.3 official Softbank update caused problems with WiFi dropouts and laggy screen. Haven't found way to revert yet. Guess have to wait for another update.
New software update fixed the earlier problems with wifi and sluggishness. phew!
WiFi broken! Just wont activate at all. Took it to Softbank, had a loan of the wonderful HTC Desire HD for a few days while the 007SH was being repaired. Came back okay with updated software which was a different version from the updates pushed to it by Softbank.
Final opinion of the 007SH. I like the idea of a hybrid flip/slab form, but my main gripe with it is the very small internal memory, battery life and sluggishness. Hope the newer 104SH with Android 4Sharp Aquos 104SH will be better. Am starting to like HTC & Samsung products better now.
WiFi broken again! Last time I'll ever get a Sharp phone. Next is HTC desire HD or Motorola RazrM!